Fire Prevention Bureau
We can help you prevent a fire.
You can help us prevent a fire.
Call us at 201-794-5408 or email Fire Official Angelo Castronovo at email@example.com
Just as its name implies, the mission of the Fair Lawn Fire Prevention Bureau is to prevent fire. Each year, approximately 4,500 locations are subject to Fire Safety Inspections conducted by the Bureau in accordance with the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code. Additionally, the Bureau investigates fires and various other incidents, and coordinates with Law Enforcement and other outside agencies as might be necessary. The Bureau also seeks to prevent fires and injury by educating the public in Fire Safety.
Fire Prevention Forms:
Extinguisher Requirements Upon Change of Occupancy
Smoke Alarm Requirements Upon Change of Occupancy
Request for Extension of Time
Request for Fire Incident Report - OPRA
Fire Safety Information:
Free Life Safety Devices
Hazards of Fireworks
Chanukah Fire Safety
Christmas Tree Fire Safety
Halacha & Fire Safety
Borough Ordinance on Heating Apartments
Turkey Deep Frying & Fire Safety
Bergen County Juvenile Fire Prevention Program
Open Burning & Recreational Fires
Rescue Decals - False Sense of Security from Fire
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Recall Order for Lithonia Emergency Lights
Courtesy Fire Safety Review
Free Smoke Alarms
Fire Official Angelo Castronovo is in charge of the Fire Prevention Bureau. Fire Inspectors include Don Santangelo, John Kurz, William Cassidy, Jeff Goldberg and Fire Prevention Clerk Nicole Compesi.
The Bureau has been the recipient of the Fire Safety Program of the Year Award from the New Jersey Fire Prevention & Protection Association.
All the Inspectors are New Jersey Certified Fire Officials & Inspectors, and have served many years as firefighters. The Inspectors of the Bureau have distinguished themselves and received several commendations as firefighters and fire prevention officials.
Each year the Bureau responds to hundreds of requests for permits, certificates, etc. including:
- Certification for Smoke Alarm, Carbon Monoxide Alarm and Fire Extinguisher: Required per State Fire Code prior to sale, lease or change in occupancy of 1 or 2 family houses.
- Fire extinguishers and CO (carbon monoxide) alarms are required! (more)
- Fire Safety Permit: Required per State Fire Code, in specific situations, involving the following:
- Use of torch or flame producing device to seal membrance roofs, or to remove paint, on any structure.
- Hot work, such as welding or cutting operations.
- Use of open flame, or flame-producing device, at a public gathering.
- Handling or storing of flammable or combustible liquids.
- Possession or use of fireworks, explosives, or blasting agents.
- Hot-tar roofing operations, including use of asphalt/tar kettle.
- Construction, alteration, & demolition operations, including use of "hot work" operations.
- Carnival or circus employing mobile enclosed structure for human occupancy.
- Fumigation or thermal insecticide fogging.
- Open burning or a bonfire.
- Use of open flame or flame-producing device in connection with fire suppression training.
- Storage or use of certain Hazardous Materials.
- Cooking operations on mobile canteen vehicles.
- Any tent, tensioned membraned structure, or canopy greater than 900 square feet or more than 30 feet in any dimension.
- Contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at (201) 794-5408 to obtain a Permit Application.
The Bureau also seeks to enhance Fire Prevention and Safety by educating the public and providing a variety of services to all resident and organizations within the Borough including:
Concerned residents should contact the Bureau regarding complaints or inquiries of possible fire hazards or Fire Code violations.
- Free smoke alarms, installation and testing: for residents unable to provide for themselves.
- Courtesy fire safety inspections of residences.
- Addressing organized groups on topics of Fire Prevention and Safety.
- Counseling juvenile fire-setters as part of the Bergen County Juvenile Fire Prevention Program.
- Providing fire marshal service at community oriented events.
The Fire Prevention Bureau is grateful for the support and cooperation of the Community in the endeavor to prevent fire and minimize dangers for its residents and firefighters.
Name: Angelo Castronovo
Title: Fire Official
Phone: (201) 794-5408
Name: Don Santangelo
Title: Deputy Fire Official
Phone: (201) 794-5408