1. Open to Fair Lawn students only.
2. One voyage map per child. One poem per child. You can enter both voyage map and poem contest.
3. When Columbus came to the Americas, the realization of the "New World" opened up all sorts of possibilities to the Spanish. Make a map of Christopher Columbus' voyage from Spain to North America in 1492 and also make tiny replicas of his three ships, the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. Contestants can use any creative materials (crayons, markers, paper cutouts, etc.) for the map and ships.
4. Poems must be printed and contain no more the 175 words or exceed 32 lines. Poems can be in free verse or rhymed. Poems must be an original creation, unique and reference Columbus’s voyage.
5. The theme of the voyage map and poem must be directly related to Columbus Day and contain the following title:
6. Voyage maps and poems must be submitted to the Fair Lawn Recreation Department located at 10-10 20th Street between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Contestants should write their name, address, phone number, school, and grade on the back of the voyage map and/or the back page of the poem. Poems should be placed in a sealed envelope with the contestant’s name and grade on the front. All voyage maps and poems become the property of the Holiday Celebrations Committee, but may be claimed immediately by the contestants following the awards presentation.
7. Winners will be announced at the Columbus Day program. Free entertainment and refreshments will be provided. All parents and contestants are invited. The program begins at 7:30 p.m. For further information, call the Fair Lawn Recreation Department at (201) 796-6746 between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Halloween Costume Parade:
This event will take place in October and has the luxury of using the spacious and tree lined area around beautiful Memorial Park. Children and adults are asked to assemble in costume behind the Memorial Pool bathhouse at 10:00 A.M. The parade begins at 10:30 A.M. led by a police car and the Holiday Celebrations Committee Grand Marshal. The parade continues down the Avenue of Heroes and around Memorial Pool to the main concession stand. All participants receive a full size Halloween treat bag that can be used for trick or treating on Halloween plus treats already inside! Free donuts and cider will be given out and costume prizes will be awarded. In case of rain, event is held inside at Memorial Middle School.
Town Hall Lighting and Caroling: Fair Lawn Municipal Building, Fair Lawn Avenue. This special holiday event is scheduled for December at 7:00 p.m. and will feature the caroling of the Fair Lawn girl and boy scouts. Santa Claus will arrive at the Fair Lawn Municipal Building to help with the official lighting of the building. All children will be able to see Santa and will receive candy canes or chocolate coins. Bring your camera!! In case of inclement weather, Santa will still be inside the building to see children.
Holiday Music Festival:
at the Memorial Middle School auditorium. The Holiday Music Festival will feature various Fair Lawn School Choruses and groups singing the magical sounds of many holiday classics. All Fair Lawn residents are encouraged to attend a wonderful evening as our town's youth sing your winter favorites. This program is conducted in cooperation with the Fair Lawn Public Schools and St. Anne's Parish.
Santa Claus Telephone:
Weekday evenings starting December (calls are made between 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.). One magical evening this holiday, Santa Claus will contact the children in the town of Fair Lawn directly by telephone. Parents are encouraged to fill out the form and return it early. Santa will be making his calls continually throughout the two-week period to guarantee he finds out who is naughty and who is nice.
Breakfast with Santa Claus:
December at the Fair Lawn Athletic Club, 9:00 a.m. or 11:00 a.m. seatings will be available for breakfast with Santa. All seatings are on a first come, first served basis. Cost is $12.00 for adults and $10.00 for children ages 5-12. Children 4 and under are admitted free with a paid parent. Please bring your own booster seat. Breakfast features a buffet style spread. Includes a special visit by Santa Claus, holiday stocking raffle and plenty of surprise treats for all. Sorry no walk-ins will be accepted.