Open Space Committee
Did you know that the Borough of Fair Lawn is one of the most densely populated municipalities in Bergen County?
That Bergen County is the most populous county in the State of New Jersey?
Did you know that The National Recreation and Parks Association recommends that 6.25 to 10.50 acres of developed open space land be provided for every 1,000 people?
The Borough of Fair Lawn (whose population was 32,457 based on the 2010 census) should have between 203 and 341 acres of open space – it has approximately 138 acres (this number excludes Board of Education and County Property).
Did you know that open spaces (and especially green open spaces) have a strong impact on suburban economies, largely as an amenity which enhances the value of nearby property and makes the community more attractive overall as a place to locate a home or business?
Open Space is a very important issue at this time. On September 20, 2005 the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Fair Lawn created the Open Space Committee. The responsibilities of the Committee are:
- To inventory all open space in the Borough and identify existing utilized space which may be converted to open space in the future.
- Research and identify sources of funding such as grants or low interest loans to be utilized to obtain, preserve and maintain open space.
- Examine the uses of exiting open space and make recommendations as to the appropriateness of such utilization for recreation, parks, or passive uses of such space.
- Review the use of open space in relationship to its surrounding environs to determine the appropriateness of such utilization.
- Take into consideration an overview of existing utilizations, potential utilizations, potential acquisition, change of utilizations, if applicable, for the entire municipality.
The Open space committee is pleased to have already accomplished much of what we have been asked to do.
In November 2005 the Borough of Fair Lawn’s Voters approved the Open Space Tax, once the tax was passed we were able to create our Open Space Plan and present it to the State of New Jersey Green Acres Incentive Program. We had only a couple of months to create the plan and members of the committee as well as Borough employees worked very hard on this plan.
Thanks to our Open Space and Recreation Public Forum in February 2006 residents of the Borough assisted us in creating a wish list of properties that if/when they become available we would like to consider purchasing.
Fair Lawn Recreation and Open Space Inventory (Click Here)
Deputy Mayor Lefkowitz - Council Liaison
Councilmember Marc Zharnest - Council Liaison
Jim Van Kruiningen - Borough Manager
Jim Graff - Superintendent of Recreation & Parks
Laura A. Lander
Meetings are held on Mondays in Room 201 of the Municipal Building, beginning at 7:30 p.m. prevailing time unless otherwise noted:
Monday, March 20, 2017
Monday, April 24, 2017 (cancelled)
Monday, June 19, 2017 (cancelled)
Monday, September 18, 2017
Monday, November 20, 2017